It's been quite some time since I've updated this, and in that time, I've googled "all recipe chili" more times than I'd like to admit. The impetus for starting this blog was two-fold: remind myself what I like to cook (and what I'm good at cooking), and to warehouse the recipes so I don't have to chase them all over the internet each time I intend to cook them. In that spirit, I present two popular recipes: Allrecipes's Vegetarian Chili and Epicurious's Espresso and Black Bean Chili.
Vegetarian Chili
2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy, drained
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
2 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Directions
In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first 15 ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
This is great because all you do is just dump everything in a pot. It's relatively quick, easy, and dirt cheap. It tastes pretty good, too! This is nothing that would necessarily surprise anyone, but it is a solid "normal chili" recipe.
Black Bean and Espresso Chili
1/2 cup olive oil
5 large onions, chopped
1/4 cup instant espresso powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
1/4 cup dried oregano leaves
2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes with added puree
1/3 cup honey
6 large garlic cloves, minced
7 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
2 cups water
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or chili powder
Large pinch of ground cinnamon
Assorted toppings: sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, shredded cheese, sliced jalapeƱos, and shaved bittersweet chocolate
This dish was made for me by a friend, and it was so delicious that I asked for the recipe. I tried to make it once, and I don't think I went to the lengths with toppings that he did (I didn't use any bittersweet chocolate, for one). Also, I couldn't find espresso powder and instead used an espresso ground. I figured they'd be the same thing, but apparently, they're not. The chili I made had a distinct grit to it, which was unappealing. You know what, though? It was still good. It does have a distinct taste, so it's something more for special occasions, but a nice one to have in your back pocket.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment